Experience and Character Counts
- Competition for state and federal funding continues to increase and Jackson County must be aggressive in securing our fair share. My experience in working with state budgets, combined with my pledge to work for the families and people of Jackson County, not special interests, will help us bring more of that funding back home to benefit our communities.
- Spending priorities from the Jackson County Health Fund must reflect health and mental health issues. Funding special events and outside organizations that do not provide health or mental health services is not an appropriate use of these funds. Funding for non-health or mental health related priorities should be funded through other revenue streams.
- More focus and promotion of our park resources is needed. Many Jackson County citizens are not aware of the amazing recreational opportunities available at our county parks. During a time when childhood obesity is an ever-increasing problem, we need to be working with the schools, health professionals and other parties interested in addressing these challenges.
Open and Accessible Jackson County
- Budget transparency must be a high priority for the Jackson County Legislature. Current and proposed Jackson County budgets must be made easily available such as via the county web site through a prominently displayed link on the county’s main page.
- The proposed county budget should be made available to the public weeks before final action on the budget is taken so the public can provide input and guidance concerning community priorities. At least three public budget forums should be held across the county, allowing the taxpayers an opportunity to voice their opinions.
- I propose implementing a legislative process that is truly transparent. A standard legislative process needs to be followed that allows for ample public input. Handing out a budget internally, holding hearings in which only county employees speak and then passing a budget without public input is unacceptable.
- I fully support the newly formed Ethics Commission and I will work to make sure it is allowed to fulfill its duties without prejudice or interference from internal or outside forces.
- Organizations utilizing county directed funds should be accountable to the people of Jackson County. Audits need to accompany proposals for funding and detailed accounting of how the funds are spent need to be made each year.
- I pledge as an elected official to work for the best interests of the people of Jackson County, creating a better community for ourselves and future generations. As such, I expect to be held accountable in my actions by those I represent, and I promise to communicate regularly to my constituency, informing them of issues before the body, and my positions concerning those issues.